About The Band
In the upcoming years, “The Marching Owls” Marching Band will be the largest, most visible student organization on our campus and will thrill thousands of fans with exciting performances that will make this one of the great college bands in the country. The tradition of excellence was initiated in the Fall 2015 as “The Marching Owls” began its pursuit in the highest levels of visual and musical performance at the Fifth-Third Bank Stadium in Kennesaw, GA.
At a school the size of the Kennesaw State University, it is important for new students to find their place within the college community. As a member of the “The Marching Owls” Marching Band, you will be surrounded by friends before classes even begin. This “family” will provide a valuable support system throughout your college career, helping you adjust to life in Kennesaw and create life-long friendships. You will have instant study partners, as members of “The Marching Owls” Marching Band represent almost every academic unit at the University, including the colleges and programs on the KSU Marietta campus.
Join the Band
“The Marching Owls” Marching Band is open to all KSU students
including the KSU Marietta campus. If you are a transfer student
or current KSU student as well as an incoming freshman you are
welcome to audition for the Band.
If you are interested in becoming a member of “The
Marching Owls” Marching Band we encourage you to fill
out our interest form.
Below you will find audition information for each section
of “The Marching Owls” Marching Band.
All Members of “The Marching Owls” Marching Band are required to attend Band Camp Week in August.
All interested incoming twirlers must submit requested materials by February 1st. Materials must include: headshot, links of unedited YouTube videos of competition/high school twirling (if possible with band accompaniment), twirling resume, and references (including twirling coach). All materials should be sent to Dr. Traficante (email@example.com).
All percussionists must contact Drumline Instructor Alan Sears (firstname.lastname@example.org) as soon as possible, prior to the upcoming fall season. The KSU Drumline (KSUDL) will audition and be determined in the spring prior to the upcoming fall season.
Materials for the 2017 Drumline auditions can be found on the home page under "upcoming events."
The KSU Colorguard (KSUCG) will audition during the spring semester, prior to the upcoming fall season. Audition materials will be released on this website in March each year.
Brass & Woodwind Auditions will occur during the first couple of days during band camp in August. All brass and woodwind students auditioning for the program will be playing and marching prescribed audition materials, which will be released on this website on June 1st each year. The materials that you will find in that packet are described in as much detail as possible below.
Brass & Woodwind Music Audition Details
1. Chromatic scale for each instrument – demonstrates range 2. Prescribed/written out major scales – selected scales for each instrument that are pertinent to the season 3. Approximately 1 minute of prescribed prepared music – the materials selected will be show music or etudes that include contrasting styles: legato, lyrical as well as faster, and some more technical passages We encourage you to play your audition on whichever instrument you feel most comfortable, Marching or Concert. Music auditions are 70% of the overall audition score for several reasons:
- Auditions are “behind a screen” (i.e. they are anonymous). This process affords the most fair and equitable process for auditions to every person wanting to be in the program
- The music is the most important aspect of what we provide for our fans!
- This process affords the students who are most prepared and work hard to earn their position, a chance to perform with “The Marching Owls.”
Brass & Woodwind Marching Audition Details
The brass and woodwind students will each be given the same coordinate card (instructions on how to read a coordinate card, as well as contact information for help reading it will be below the card) to march for their audition. The audition for marching will also include music to perform along with the routine, but will be used to determine whether or not the student can march/play at the same time vs. a challenging piece of music to play while marching. Marching auditions are 30% of the overall audition score for several reasons:
- The marching is not behind a screen – we must see you march. Therefore, reducing the overall weight of the category, continuing to make it an equitable process, minimizes the “human factor”.
- Marching is secondary to music and is weighted as such. This is not to say that marching is not important – we are a marching band, so of course it is! But, music continues to be the most important thing we do as a band.
- We will have students who have never marched, and that’s OK! You can still be successful in college marching band if you have never marched, but have played your instrument for years. The opposite is not true, where you’ve never played an instrument before and want to do that in college for the first time.
If you are staying in on-campus housing, you will need to alert KSU Housing that you will be auditioning for “The Marching Owls.” This alert to them will indicate that you need to move into the housing 1 week early, so that you can attend the audition/band camp the week before school starts. This is really important, since we will be in the depths of camp when the rest of the campus is allowed to move in. The housing office is making accommodations for “The Marching Owls” prospective members to be allowed to move in early, but they need lead-time in order to be sure that your room is prepared ahead of time. Contact Housing immediately if you have not informed them of your intentions to audition for “The Marching Owls!”
The sound of “The Marching Owls” Marching Band depends upon a desired instrumentation. Following is a break-down of our desired yearly instrumentation:
- 30 Piccolos/Flutes
- 44 Clarinets
- 27 Alto Saxophones
- 10 Tenor Saxophones
- 52 Trumpets
- 24 Horns
- 32 Trombones
- 12 Baritones
- 20 Tubas
- 30 Drumline
- 32 Colorguard
- 1 Twirler
- 1 Drum Major
All students interested in joining “The Marching Owls” Marching Band should contact the band office (email@example.com) to be put on the summer mailing list.
Tuesday/Thursdsay/Friday from 5:00 PM – 7:00 PM at 3305 Busbee Drive – the old BrandsMart building. “The Marching Owls” field is located outside of the building, in which we are housed.
*Weekly Drumline and Colorgaurd sectionals will be scheduled at the beginning of the season
Game-Day Rehearsal Schedule for Home Games
Depending on kick-off times, we will rehearse as follows:
Schedule is based on a 1:00 PM Kick-off:
- 7:00 AM – Morning rehearsal/run through
- 9:00 AM – Break/brunch. Visit with friends at KSUMB facility
- 10:30 AM – Drumline warms up
- 10:45 AM – KSUMB parades to Fifth Third Bank Stadium as fans follow
- 11:00 AM – Band performs Pre-game concert
- 12:40 PM – KSUMB performs pregame show for 10,000+ cheering Owls fans!
- 1:00 PM – KSUMB supports Owl Football team, performs Halftime show for 10,000+ cheering Owl fans, and performs a Post-game Concert for thousands of parents, alumni, and friends following the Owl victory!
- 5:00 PM – KSUMB sings Alma Mater and goes home
All rehearsals are curricular and attendance is graded.
Enrollment is required for all students.
- MUSI 1142/3342 – offered for “1” credit hour OR “0” credit hours
- YOU MUST BE ENROLLED IN THE COURSE FOR EITHER “0” OR “1” HOUR
- “0” CREDIT HOUR COURSES DO NOT — USE SCHOLARSHIP MONEY, SUCH AS HOPE CREDITS, AND DONT REQUIRE ANY TUITION
- ***BAND FEES ARE STILL TAKEN FOR ZERO CREDIT COURSES****
- ARCHE Cross Registration Program and HONORS DUAL ENROLLMENT
- ARCHEs Cross Registration Program allows students at member institutions to broaden their academic experience by registering for courses at other member colleges and universities. It shares the vast resources of ARCHE member specialties by offering students access to courses not offered at their home institution, and allows them a chance to experience a different campus environment.
- Registration is handled through a students home institution. Students must contact their college or universitys Cross Registration Coordinator.
- Students who attend institutions that participate in the ARCHE program are also encouraged to audition for our program
- Check here for a list of institutions that participate in ARCHE:
- Dual Enrollment Honors Program Students
- If you are a DEHP student, and are not currently in your High School band program, you can audition to be a member of “The Marching Owls” Marching Band.
- Click here for more information
Attendance is required at all official KSUMB events (conflicts must be preapproved by the Director, Dr. Traficante.
These events include:
- Band Camp
- Regular class time rehearsals and weekly sectionals
- Game Day rehearsals and performances
- Travel to away games, if applicable
- Travel to post-season travel (depending on season outcome), if applicable
Please see the Absence Request portal if there is a reasonable request to miss a performance. Refer to the course syllabus and handbook regarding absences and grades.
Prospective Member Interest Form
In the upcoming years, “The Marching Owls” Marching Band will be the largest, most visible student organization on our campus and will thrill thousands of fans with exciting performances that will make this one of the great college bands in the country. The tradition of excellence was initiated in the Fall 2015 as “The Marching Owls” began its pursuit in the highest levels of visual and musical performance at the Fifth-Third Bank Stadium in Kennesaw, GA. Sign up today so we can email you more information about “The Marching Owls.”